The Overlander (Auckland – Wellington – Auckland)
The Overlander takes you from Auckland to Wellington, weaving its way past the volcanic Mt Ruapehu and through spectacularly scenic farmland, native forests, raging rivers, sheer cliff faces and gorges.
- Operates daily December – April
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday only May – September
- Departs Auckland, 7.25am / Arrives Wellington 7.25pm or vv
TranzCoastal (Picton – Christchurch – Picton)
This diverse train route takes in the breathtaking coastline and native forests at the north of the South Island.
Why not stop off at Kaikoura to take in some of the wildlife? You can swim with the dolphins or watch the whales.
If you want, you can link with the Interislander ferry from Picton which takes you to Wellington.
- Train operates daily
- Departs Picton 1pm / Arrives Christchurch 6.20pm
- Departs Christchurch 7am / Arrives Picton 12.15pm
TranzAlpine (Christchurch – Greymouth – Christchurch)
This train journey is one of the most highly rated rail experiences in the world.
The trip will take you past the Southern Alps and other landmarks including the Canterbury Plains, beech rainforest and lush, green forests.
Take advantage of the open air-carriages for some great photo opportunities!
- Operates daily
- Departs Christchurch 8.15am / Arrives Greymouth 12.15pm
- Departs Greymouth 1.45pm / Arrives Christchurch 6.20pm